Wednesday, December 3, 2008

WWBFD - Part 6: The Thing About Typos

Sunday, November 30th, afternoon. The book pages have been on the heat vent at home since I got home from the Thanksgiving Day printing feast at 1 AM Friday morning. I have been afraid to look at them, because, what if...

Yep, "what if" happened. I have a typo and a few other things I don't like on the text page - so after saying "SHIT" a few times -- which definitely helps solve any problem -- I head back to the IPRC. Luckily I left my form (the type set up to print) intact, so I don't have to spend hours resetting the type. That would not have happened! 

I fix the mistake (the word "account" which is not usually spelled "accuont" to my knowledge) and move the first sentence around - which I like a lot better in the last paragraph. I slap it back on the press and print about 100 more, as fast as I can. I have to also reprint the last page too, which is short and luckily was also intact. It goes pretty well (and I am not being to fussy about it being perfect anyway to be honest). Except for fixing the typo which would have really bugged me. I DID proofread it Thursday night, but it was about 10:45 pm I think, so what did I expect? 

As I am doing this, I swear to myself, NEXT TIME I WILL PRINT THE TEXT EARLIER AND NOT SET IT AND PRINT IT AT THE SAME TIME, LATE AT NIGHT. 

Still, all things considered - I learned from this, and I like the text better now, so hey. I redistribute the type back into the drawer where it's stored - which goes about 20 times faster than setting it originally. Maybe because now I have memorized where most of the letters go, which makes me feel good. Still more to do to finish the book, but now it really, really is all printed.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Good for you, Debbie, that would have bugged me too! I can't wait to see them! EN