Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What Would Bigfoot Do? Part 2: Starting to Print

Mid-August - I know I have to start printing, even though I don't have all the sketches and ideas worked out. My creative process, especially on larger pieces, is to start with what I know, and trust that I will discover the next piece, without knowing the whole. It usually works. 

I do some basic project planning, which is a new thing for me. (Yes, I have learned something from working for engineers and planners all these years!) It helps a lot to know the scope of the project before I start, so I can estimate my time  and expenses and really decide if I want to commit to a project or not. (I already have a drawer of unfinished projects and don't want to add more great ideas I can't actually complete if I can help it!) 

So, 8 prints, plus 4 pages of text = how much time? I know it will be a lot, but I have months before Christmas, right? It's only August... 

I buy a 50-pack of French Paper's Construction line, Factory Green 100% recycled cover stock. And I totally score some really cool paper for the inside at SCRAP. It's old letterhead from a doctor's office from the 1960's with a cool laid finish (ridges). It's perfect for what I want and they happen to have 2 boxes of it the day I am there. (Thanks, Universe!) I also trust the process of finding materials like that - and this is excellent. Maybe I am supposed to do this project after all...

Because I'm still intimidated, I start with the back cover, working up my courage with a simple drawing - a footprint. I use my foot as the model, which is fun. It carves and prints easily and I do 100 one day in the IPRC. 

So before I go to Korea, I also design and carve the front cover, of Bigfoot in the forest, the book  title carved into a tree. He has sort of a monkey face. I draw better with a picture to go by and I look at pictures of apes for ideas. The printing goes pretty well, though some are not as dark as I'd like. Oh well. 

Then I go to Korea, intending to finish the sketching while I am there or maybe on the plane on the way or the way home... (Yeah, right!) 


No comments: