Thursday, November 27, 2008

WWBFD - Part 4: As of Now

November 19th - I go to the IPRC after work and print the title page. I already set some of the type for it, and set and add the dedication today. I print 110. The Title is 24 point sized Univers 65 typeface (I love it!), the dedication is Spartan Heavy 14 point, and the copyright text is 12 point Spartan Heavy Italic. 2.25 hours. 

November 21st - After the DIY Braintrust group (a creative group I facilitate once a month at the IPRC) I stay and write the text. I wrote down every idea I had last week, and now I hone it into more of what I actually want to say. It takes 2 hours, but I am very close. I know it will change when I start setting the type. It's about 150 words, and the most handset type I have ever set before at once is about 5 lines of copyright/info text on the back of my cards.  Hah! 

Seriously, I don't know how it will go - will I run out of type and have to print it in pieces? Will it be a total pain to print? (With these worn out old letters, they don't print evenly and you have to adjust it and it can be annoying and very time consuming.) Then when it's done I have to redistribute all of it back into the type drawer... What the hell - learning edge! 

November 23rd - I go at 2 pm to the IPRC, work my volunteer shift in the printroom from 5 - 8, and keep working until 9. I print the next 2 blocks - yahoo! They print well and it's much quicker to do more than one because the press is already set up. I like the designs pretty well. One is drawn from a picture of a farm in Tillamook, Oregon (sort of, I was looking at it for inspiration anyway). The other is from a photo of my neighbor picking blueberries. (I don't think I will tell her she was a model for Bigfoot!) 2 hours. 

I start setting the type, and get about halfway through. As I expected, I am cutting out a lot of unnecessary words and thoughts - it's a lot different picking out every single letter versus blathering on the computer. (Yeah, like now!) 1.5 hours. 

November 26th - After work I draw up the final 3 blocks, and am happy with the images - finally. One in particular I wasn't sure how it would work out. But you know what, drawing the blocks for the inside images hasn't felt so intimidating - maybe redrawing all of the sketches was good for me. (I don't want to EVER lose a sketchbook again though - that sucked.) 

One has Mount St. Helens in it, one has Mount Hood (and the first guy I dated after I got divorced who was a JERK! Oh well - it was the perfect image to use.) And one has my tent and "camp Bigfoot" Elizabeth and I stayed in this summer. I have tried to put the Sasquatches in a variety of landscapes, and I like that they are in all different settings, based on actual places in the Northwest. Tomorrow I carve and print, and finish setting the type, and start printing that. And oh yeah, somehow make a pie and go to Thanksgiving at Paula's. Right. 



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow, Debbie! I didn't know you were making a book! It sounds awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Clare said...

Great progress reports, Debbie! I can't wait to hear about how the rest of it goes and to see the finished product!

Have a great Thanksgiving!