Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Barack Obama Postcards - Part 1 - Printing the Text

















I just finished the most complex cards I've made, and it was a great learning experience! These are limited edition postards which I am selling as a fundraiser for Barack Obama. (Cards are $5 each, go to my website for more info - www.msstarryart.com.) Here are the details of the creative process:

8/28/08 - I am so inspired by Barack Obama's speech during the Democratic National Convention, I ask myself what I can do to contribute. I do not have the temperment for knocking on doors volunteering, and limited funds to donate. The thought comes to me "I can make a card and sell it as a fundraiser!" Yes! Contributing with art.  

I start sketching the card and look up photos of Barack Obama on his website to use - one is just perfect.  It takes about an hour. The design comes to me pretty quickly and essentially stays the same after these first inspired drawings. 

9/19 - After 2 weeks in Korea, I have time to work on the card again. I don't know how I will find time to get it done. Tonight I search for the right typefaces and sizes to say what I want, and start setting the first sections of type - "Vote Hope 2008." ~ 1 hour.

9/21 - I start printing the type, yea! I print the red back text "Vote Obama '08" in Red Pepper ink, Univers 65, 24 point type. There is no 2 in that typeface, so I go with '08. I appreciate being flexible with setting antique type! I set the type and print 200 cards. 2 hours and 15 minutes.  (I print at the IPRC in Portland, Oregon, by the way.)

9/24 - I run in late in the evening to the IPRC and print the black back text (the info block). I use almost the same text for my regular cards, but I rearrange and shorten it and adjust to left justified. The type is Spartan Medium, 10 point size. 1 hour and 45 minutes. 

9/26 - The night of the first debate, I am so angry at McCain's arrogance, dishonesty and disrespect, I start carving the first block. The block scares me and I have put it off. Portraits are intimidating, especially since I am carving away to reveal the features. What if it doesn't look like him? And my main knife is bent out of shape and I can't properly sharpen it. But I need to do something positive, so I put my anger and frustration to the block and carve away. ~1 hour. 

9/30 - I print the portrait block at home with waterbased ink to see how it looks. The eyes and nose are all wrong. I decide to look at it for a few days and think about what to do.  

10/1 - I go in after work and print the front text. I am determined to get it all done, and it feels stressful like I am on a deadline. I usually enjoy the repetition and mechanical quality of printing, but tonight I can't relax. 

I am printing the "Vote Hope 2008" text in red and the stars in black, and they have to fit together. I set both up, then replace the star lines with slugs, small flat pieces, of lead to hold the place while I print the text. After the text is printed, I put slugs of lead in its place and put the stars back in to print them. (Somehow I channelled Rebecca Gilbert of the IPRC to figure this out. Thank you!) 

The text is Franklin Gothic 36 point - I love it's simplicity and power. I had to steal the "Es" from other people's type trays; luckily I found them easily. The stars are sorts, non-letter decorative type pieces. (You know the phrase "out of sorts"? It's from typesetting...) 3 hours and 15 minutes.

Please see my 2nd post about this, Part 2: Printing the Blocks from Oct. 6th.

4 comments:

loaded hips press said...

It looks awesome! I love hearing about the process. I often do crazy multi-run prints so I know how that goes.

I'm going to buy one right now!

BenSJohnson said...

Debbie, these cards are awesome! I enjoyed reading about the process, too. You're stuff is inspiring!!

I am going to see if Carrie will let me borrow the credit card so I can order some stuff... ;)

Keep up the crazy-cool creativity.
-Ben

mustard seed said...

Hi Debbie,

Reading about your process added so much to my enjoyment of the print, especially the parts about "trusting the process" and not being in control. The creative process is a good metaphor for life.

Love You,
Carrie

Ethan and Maria said...

Debbie! I am so happy I read this blog! It was so interesting, and I LOVE the card! You did it, and it really looks like him! I'm totally inspired!