Saturday, October 4, 2008

Korea Part II - Seoul Sister! Sept. 14, 2008




Hi friends and family!
 
I hope you are all well and having/had a nice weekend!  Just dropping a line from Seoul before I leave - I fly back tomorrow, arriving home timewise before I leave Korea (I am not sure how that works out, but anyway...)
 
It's been a wonderful trip, and I have really enjoyed connecting with my sister and her husband, and experiencing Korea. More highlights:
  • Biking in Guangju, the city where Maria and Ethan live. I have an even greater appreciation of Portland's bike friendly streets after riding the crazy sidwalks over here, dodging cars, motorcycles, pedestrians and street vendors! It was fun though and they have a great waterfront trail.
  • Guangju's market - that was so fascinating! There is everything you can imagine in it and a lot of things I couldn't have imagined - manta rays for sale and fish on a rope.
  • Super fun sister shopping! Especially for goofy socks and all the cool things in stationary stores!
  • A Korean HAUNTED HOUSE!!! It was so fun - lots of glow in the dark painted mannequins jumping out at us. Korean zombies and skeletons are the best!
  • A Korean folk village we visited yesterday - we got to see a tradit. wedding ceremony, lots of traditional houses, a beautiful Buddhist temple where a monk was praying (we didn't go in, just listened), and martial arts on horseback!!
  • Eating at a tradtional Korean restaurant where they cook the meat right on your table and then you wrap it in lettuce leaves to eat it. Yum!! It was cool - we went with Maria's good friend Eva who is super nice.
Anyway, today we're going to the National museum of contemporary art, I can't wait!
 
Take care and see you back in Migu! (America - it means "beautiful country" in Chinese.)
 
Peace, Debbie

2 comments:

rachel said...

I am so out of the loop or in mommy land. I would love to get together to see and hear about your trip!

Ethan and Maria said...

All I have to say is,

PEACE
ABOVE
RABBIT FOOT.