Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween-y

I have not been that into Halloween this year. Usually I enjoy the fun of the season, and the reflection it offers me about the cycles of life and remembrance of the dead.  This year, there's so much else going on that is truly scary, I haven't known what to make of Halloween, or how to put it in context.  

I did do one new Halloween card, and really like it. I updated an old image from a card design I printed on computer a few years ago, to create this Bonehead card that I can hand print with Print Gocco. I printed up a few several weeks ago, crazy fast, half an hour before I had to go set up for a craft show! Yikes. I knew I was living the Bonehead Life, but it worked out ok, and I was glad I made them. I didn't sell many, but people laughed and thought they were cool. I appreciate their fun and the reminder that yes, I do get to be my own bonehead.  

Something unexpected snuck up behind me today during our Halloween party at work. Employees bring their kids, and there's a party for them with snacks and games, and trick-or-treating around the office. The kids were all so cute, and their costumes so clever! My favorites were the rotary phone and the red leggo. They were simple and brilliant, homemade (with good reuse of scrap materials). 

It made me wish that I had a kid myself. 

I told two of my coworker-friends that, and Ben gave me a "Lady, you CRAZY!" look. Then he said "You were really good with them." Becky agreed, "Yeah, you got up and talked to them all." 

Holy cow - someone told me I was good with kids. And they were right. It felt easy to talk to them. And they were all so beautiful, and their parents or grandparents so happy and proud of them.  

There's something so precious about children dressing up for Halloween and Trick-or-Treating. It's only a few short years that we put on a sparkly princess dress or a Darth Vader outfit and go around to strangers, asking for candy. 

The beauty and innocence, and knowing it will pass. Like a beloved ghost, made material for one fleeting moment. 

 

No comments: